Sunday's Obituary: Harkless Wooten

Harkless Wooten 
My 1st cousin 2x removed.
(January 5, 1915--September 9, 1979)

Obituary from the Carteret County News Times Sept 13, 1979

The funeral for Morehead City caterer, Harkless Wooten, 64, is planned for Saturday at 1 p.m.in the St. Egbert's Catholic Church, Morehead City. Monsignor Louis Morton, pastor, will officiate. Burial will be conducted in Bayview Cemetery with Elk rites.

A rosary will be conducted Friday at 8 p.m. in Barrow's Funeral  Home, Morehead City, with Monsignor Morton officiating.

Mr Wooten died Sunday in Providence Hospital, Washington, D.C. He was a master chef at the Dunes Club, the Coral Bay Club, the John Yancey Restarurant all on Bogue Banks, and the Atlantic Hotel, which once stood in Morehead City.

Mr Wooten owned Wooten's Fine Foods, a catering service, and operated out of the Edgewater Motel and the Edgewater Hotel, which he owned and operated, in Morehead City.

He earned three degrees in the culinary arts from St Emma N.I. Institute in Rock Castle, Va. He was a chef in hotels from Mount Holyoke, Mass., to St. Petersburg, Fla., and was a consultant with the Chatterbox Restaurant chain in St. Petersburg and the Hot Shoppe chain in Washington D.C.

Mr. Wooten is a native of Wooten Town in Washington, D.C., and was named after his grandfather. He worked toward getting Calico Creek dredged for a harbor of refuge and attended a conference in Washington, D.C. to bring low income housing to Morehead City.

A memeber of St. Egbert's Catholic Church, he was a founder and organizer of Ocean Breeze Elks Lodge in Morehead City.

He is survived by his wife, Clifford Wooten: a daughter, Idella Fossie, Washington, D.C. two grandchildren: and great-grandson.


For more information on Harkless Wooten, here's a link: Talented Tuesday --Harkless Wooten

Comments

  1. I love his name Harkless! I know he had what Mom would call some "Good Eating"! Cheers to Harkless. Love this Andrea......we are all real big cooks in my family. Not as accomplished as him. Great Tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi True! According to my Mom, he could cook just about anything. I wish I could have sampled his cooking but unfortunately he died when I was young.

      Delete
    2. His family still knows how to cook those good old edgewater hotel hamburgers. From Sharon Acklin his granddaughter.

      Delete
  2. While I did not get to meet him, I knew his wife very well. She was my high school guidance counselor at J. T. Barber High School in New Bern NC, and later colleague at New Bern Senior High.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrea, I came across this obituary doing some research for an article I'm writing for Carolina Shore, a magazine here in Morehead City. I've been trying to find out more about the Edgewater Motel from the time it was opened through the mid-60s but haven't had much luck. If you have any resources you could direct me to it would be most appreciated! Thank you, Rudi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I just saw this today. I've included a couple of links there that you might find helpful: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/755153/mention_of_the_proposal_for_the/

      http://www.hpo.ncdcr.gov/nr/WA5104.pdf

      Delete
  4. I watched Papa in kitchen and was only able to grasp a few things but I knew there will never be another chef like my grandad Harkless A Wooten. Rip granddaddy. You gave me a good life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Been A Long Time

Amanuensis Monday: Charity Ambrose Deed to Mt. Olive Methodist Church

Pink Invitational 2020