Why It's Important To Keep Digging

Microsoft Office Downloaded Image

Thanks to a lead that another blogger pointed out on a post of mine, I got inspired to do some more digging on my Ellison family branch. Here's what has been uncovered so far.

My 4th great grandparents were a Benjamin and Rosetta Ellison. They were the parents to the following children:
             Irvin Ellison
             Allen Ellison
             George Ellison
             James Ellison
             John Ellison
             Harvey Ellison
             Ada Ellison
             Sarah Ellison
             Mosella Ellison
             Patience Ellison Blount
             Caroline Ellison Bryant --my 3rd great grandmother

According to Irvin Ellison's Freedman's Bank record entry from November 24, 1869, Benjamin Ellison was residing in Snow Hill, Greene County, NC after the Civil War.

Recently, I did a simple Google search using the following search criteria: "Snow Hill, Greene County, NC"+"Ellison."

The first search result that came up instantly caught my eye. It was a link to Find A Grave and specifically for an entry for Laura Harper Ellison. I recognized that name from the family tree I have on Ancestry.com. She happened to be the wife of Harvey Ellison, my 3rd great grand uncle. I went to Find A Grave and lo and behold there was a picture of her grave. 


Laura Harper Ellison
March 17, 1867--February 4, 1934
Gone but not forgotten
Image courtesy of  Find A Grave
Picture uploaded by Horace Wiggins

The listing on Find A Grave showed that she was buried at St Peter Church Cemetery in Snow Hill, Greene County, NC. I clicked on the link to St. Peter's Church Cemetery and typed in Ellison to see if any other family members would come up. Guess what? BINGO!

H. V. Ellison Sr. (Harvey Ellison)
February 10, 1861--January 29, 1925
A loving father. a kind husband
Image courtesy of  Find A Grave.
Picture uploaded by Horace Wiggins.
My 3rd great grand uncle, brother to Caroline Ellison Bryant.

Lewis Ellison
May 8, 1887--October 21, 1918
Image courtesy of  Find A Grave
Picture uploaded by Horace Wiggins
Lewis was one of Harvey and Laura's children. 

I went back and checked the death certificate for Harvey Ellison to see what was listed as his place of burial. The cemetery where he was laid to rest was referred to as Snow Hill Cemetery. I will keep this in mind as I continue to do more digging. Perhaps other Ellison family members were buried there as well. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Been A Long Time

Amanuensis Monday: Charity Ambrose Deed to Mt. Olive Methodist Church

Pink Invitational 2020