The Book Of Me: Prompt 12 --The Year You Were Born

For details about The Book Of Me, Written By You project created by Julie Goucher, of the Anglers Rest blog, please refer to this link:   http://www.anglers-rest.net/book-of-me-written-by-you.html

This week’s prompt is -  The year you were born
What happened
  • Historical
  • Films
  • Music
  • Books
  • Television
  • Or use any other historical (well known or otherwise) event

I am a child of the early 1970's.

I thought a good starting point for this exercise would be to refer to the baby book my mother created for me when I was born.  (Thanks Mom!) After 27 hours of labor, I was born via Cesarean section a month early at La Guardia Hospital in Queens, NY.

These are some of the things she jotted down in the book about the year I was born.

Public officials:  Mayor Lindsey, President Nixon

Clothing styles:  layered look for women, Men --wide leg pants, high heeled shoes.

Signs of the times:  Apollo 17 to the moon, Viet Nam War concluding. Long hair worn by men and women.

Here are a couple of the movies that came out that year that I was born.  I've only seen them in bits and pieces of over the years but after looking at the trailers today, I am going to make a point to sit down and watch them from start to finish. They are both classics and it would do me some good to see them with grown up eyes now. 


Sounder


Lady Sings The Blues

Music:

Songs playing on the radio were Bill Wither's "Lean on Me", Don McLean's "American Pie", Roberta Flack's "The First Time I Saw Your Face" and Al Green's "Let's Stay Together.

Books:

One of my favorite children's books that I remember reading when I was child was published the year I was born.


Frog and Toad Together
by Arnold Lobel

I also loved this one.  

Freaky Friday
by Mary Rodgers


Shows on television:

M*A*S*H

Kung Fu

Sanford and Son

And who could forget this!

All In The Family



Comments

  1. I enjoyed this post of the 1970's!!! Stephani

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it Andrea! too funny. Brought back memories! forgot abt Frog and Toad, now I got to order that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved those books so much as a little kid. They would make me laugh out loud sometimes.

      Delete
  3. I have a daughter born around the same year as you were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great year for smart young ladies to be born in. :)

      Delete
  4. Frog and the Toad: YES! Who we are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the memories, I remember well most of the things you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Been A Long Time

Amanuensis Monday: Charity Ambrose Deed to Mt. Olive Methodist Church

Pink Invitational 2020