The Book Of Me: Prompt 15 --Snow

Image courtesy of Microsoft Office Images

I am still playing catch up on The Book Of Me, Written By You. Someday..someday soon I'll get there. :) If you are not familiar with this wonderful project that was created by Julie Goucher of the Angler's Rest blog, please refer to this link:  http://www.anglers-rest.net/book-of-me-written-by-you.html

This week’s prompt is – Snow!
Do you live in area where you routinely have snow?
How old were you when you first saw snow?
Do you remember it?
Did you make snowmen?
Throw Snowballs
Sledge Rides
What is the image that first came to mind when you read snow?
What does snow
feel like,
smell like
how do you see snow

1) Do you live in an area where you routinely have snow?

Ha! I live in upstate NY. Snow is something we do very well here.

2) How old were you when you first saw snow?  Do you remember it?

I don't know when was the first time I saw snow but a memory that stands out in my mind was a blizzard that took place in either 1976 or 1977. My family and I were living in Cambria Heights, NY. The houses in our neighborhood were very close together with basically a driveway that separated each house from the next. I was amazed at the sight of seeing the family car covered with snow in the driveway. My parents had to shovel out an area to get the driver's side door open. Crazy! I was so small it just looked so completely surreal to me. Anyway. I remember walking with my brother and my dad I think to get a newspaper or something and then we came back home. 


3) Did you make snowmen? Throw snowballs? Sledge rides?

I attempted to make snowmen when I was little with not much success. I don't recall my brother and I playing in the back yard of our house in Cambria Heights but I do remember a few times trying to make snowmen at my paternal grandparents house. I thought it would be easy since it seemed that way from what I had seen on TV shows. Oh well. I still tried and had fun trying. My favorite memory of snow is from when my family lived in Lake Ronkonkoma. I think it was the winter of 1982 or 1983 and during one storm we received over a foot of snow. Oh what fun my brother and I had. We built snow forts and had snow ball fights. We didn't going sledding and I don't ever recall going on a sleigh ride. 

4) What is the image that first comes to mind when you read snow?

I think of cool crisp fresh air and seeing my own breath in front of me. I think of how quiet it is when a snowfall occurs. I hear my own thoughts more clearly and completely. I see pine trees with snow covered branches and frozen water on a pond or a lake somewhere. I see an image in my mind that somehow represents clarity. 



5)  What does snow feel like? Smell like?

I would say that snow feels like cold powdery sugar to me. No scent really, perhaps just clean.

6)  How do you see snow?

When it snows, I think it's a great time for introspection or meditation. It's a time for me to regain my center. 

Comments

  1. I wonder if you got some of that snow that hit the mid-west last week. I always liked looking at the snow and even going out for walks but I don't really miss it now that we are south.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristin, We did get some of that snow but it doesn't seem to want to stick around. The weather keeps seesawing back and forth from extreme cold to warm. Today we have rain and it is suppose to be in the 50's. Winter isn't over yet, so we will see what happens. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Been A Long Time

Amanuensis Monday: Charity Ambrose Deed to Mt. Olive Methodist Church

Pink Invitational 2020