The Book Of Me: Prompt 46 --Childhood Reading

 Image courtesy of stockimages at FreeDigitalPhotos.net


If you are not familiar with this wonderful project that was created by Julie Goucher of the Angler's Rest blog, please refer to this link: http://www.anglers-rest.net/book-of-me-written-by-you.html.
This week's prompt is - Childhood reading

Did you read as a child?
Did you experience the wonder of bedtime stories?
Favorite books
Did your childhood reading influence you?
Special moments and memories

Did I read as a child?

Yes! Thanks to my mother. She established early on a routine of taking my brother and I to the local library so we could borrow books of our own choosing. Choosing my own books, was the first step I ever took in establishing my own identity.  Before I could even read that well I would lose myself in the imagery on the pages of the books. I'd imagine story lines. I would let my mind wonder. I fell in love with books. They were a home away from home.

Did you experience the wonder of bedtime stories?

I don't remember it, but I'm told by my mother that my brother used to read to me sometimes. Both of my parents worked when I was growing up, so by the time they were done getting in for the day they were pretty pooped. I am ever more thankful and amazed at how my mother worked all day and then took care of the household when she got home. She made sure my brother and I completed our homework. She cooked, cleaned dishes, and usually took care of a couple of loads of laundry as well. She didn't have any energy left for bedtime stories by the time everything was taken care of. I don't feel I missed out because I quickly learned to read for myself. 

 A Few of My Favorite books

Charlotte's Web
The Mouse and the Motorcycle
Runaway Ralph
The Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder.
(read these in particular many times)
Freaky Friday

Did your childhood reading influence you?

Childhood reading definitely had an influence on me.  Once a reader, I think always a reader. I really enjoyed reading the Little House on the Prairie series. I liked imagining what things looked like from that era in my head. I still love doing that now. It's just that now I am picturing what the towns and places where my ancestors once lived looked like. 

I still have a lot of catching up to do, so I am going to end this post here. On to prompt 47!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Been A Long Time

Amanuensis Monday: Charity Ambrose Deed to Mt. Olive Methodist Church

Pink Invitational 2020